A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn....

It's gonna get harder before it gets easier. But it will get better, you just gotta make it through the hard stuff first.

Monday, February 18, 2013

5 weeks done, 5 days to go.

I am really excited. It's almost not even funny how excited I am - more than I was since Old Dominion 100 in the summer of 2011 - to go to a race. The sure sign of it is digging out reports from said race of previous years and reading them up, starring at the elevation profile, making sure I am aware of aid stations, and laying out my racing clothes. It's all ready. Am I?

I had exactly 5 weeks of solid training that I can't complain about. From January 7th (somewhere after the flu finally wore off and allowed the body to cooperate) until last Saturday, I followed my own set schedule of workouts, improving times and heart rate, extending miles, yet taking recovery seriously, and adjusting my eating to a healthy way, what lead to a good body composition change.

I finished it up with a week where my mile repeats were fastest for Texas living, my 13M hill-to-tempo combination cut full 10 minutes off my 2-weeks-ago time (which I was already thrilled about), and my 5k on Saturday was a full minute under January time (and fastest for this decade since last summer when I went back to short races for fun, with PR in 2003, after which I haven't run 5k's).

But then the stomach virus hit the family. Harrison brought it over on Wednesday, and he got it worse - up all night throwing up and having diarrhea. Larry was on the line next as someone who took care of him through it all - and he came down Friday morning. Stephen and I held it till Saturday, and we were hit the least in terms of symptoms, yet it still drained me terribly (after 5k I pretty much laid on a couch not eating or drinking through Sunday evening). The shuffle on Sunday night for customary 2 miles was pathetic - as it was this morning, but the appetite is back. And since Larry fully recovered and smashed his best trail trial time on Sunday, I expect to get out tomorrow for one more quality run.

That said, it's a 50k. Not my distance - and it's a 50k with 7,000 feet of climb. Which is what I like. On rocky trails - what we should be prepared for. On a day after it rains there, what with leaves might be treacherous.

Regardless, I am super-stocked about going. I don't have photos to share today, thoughts, or details. I just wanted to lay out there that I can't wait to make it to the start and play. For all it's worth!


4 comments:

  1. Will definitely be an interesting time. Won't be coming anywhere close to a 50k PR on that course. Still, exciting, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sweet elevation profile with all the climbing at the end. Looks awesome! I'm sure you will do well - get out there and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting to have a fun race coming up, Olga! And with all that climbing and descending on technical trails, it looks like a tough race - which you always rock! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you. Sounds like you're ready!

    ReplyDelete